Rules & Judging
The tournament: The tournament strives to provide fair, honest and reliable judging. The tournament will follow the rules and judging outlines in The Tournament handbook. The handbook provides an overview of the rules for each category. Open Tournament Handbook
Rules & Judging
A complete overview of the rules is covered in The Tournament handbook. We encourage all school owners, masters, instructors, coaches, competitors and parents to read the tournament handbook. It is important for everyone to have an overview of the rules, as some rules will be different than other tournaments. A copy will be available at every judges table.
- Courtesy & Respect – Be courteous, respectful, kind and practice good sportsmanship.
- Cleanup – Please remember to pick up your broken boards, trash, water bottles, papers etc.
- Language – No cursing or inappropriate language. Competitors can receive point deductions or be disqualified for cursing, using inappropriate language, trash talking and/or poor sportsmanship.
- NO Smoking – This is a NON SMOKING Tournament. There is no smoking in the convention center, including electronic cigarettes.
- Alcoholic Beverages – Alcoholic beverages are not permitted at The Tournament.
- Glass Bottles – Glass bottles are not permitted in the convention center.
- Competition Area – The competition area includes the competition rings and surrounding space where athletes compete or wait to compete. Only authorized personnel are permitted in this area. Anyone in this area is required to have appropriate credentials.
- Competition Area Dress Code – Everyone in the competition area must follow the dress code including competitors, coaches, judges, volunteers and parent helpers.
- Uniforms – All competitors must wear a clean and wrinkle free dobok (uniform). Competitors with a soiled and/or wrinkled uniform will receive a one (1) point deduction in the categories they compete.
- NO Shorts – Shorts are not permitted in the competition area.
- NO Jeans – Jeans are not permitted in the competition area.
- Shirts – All shirt must have a team/school logo.
- Judges – Judges must wear the judge’s polo shirt and badge at all times.
- Coaches – Coaches have the option to wear a dobok, suit, collared shirt, or team/school warmup suit. Warmup suits must have a team or school logo. Coaches must wear their badge at all times.
- Practice & Warmups – The competition area will be available for practice and stretching before the competition begins. All practice and warmups before, during and after the tournament must be conducted in a safe manner. Please be careful and cautious of others around you.
Rules & Judging
The tournament strives to provide fair, honest and reliable judging. The Tournament will follow the rules and judging outlined in The Tournament handbook. Be respectful to the judges and referees. Disrespectful verbal and or physical action(s) can result in point deductions and or disqualification of the competitor(s), coach(es) and or team(s).
Each competitor ring will have four (4) judges. There will be one (1) ring judge and three (3) table judges. Pair and team categories may have a different number of judges.
- Center Ring Judge – The ring judge is the head judge or referee. They provide the direction and leadership for the ring. Any concerns, challenges or issues should be addressed to the ring judge.
- Table Judges – The table judges sit at the ring table and provide competitor scoring and placement recognition for medals and trophies. During the sparring category table judges will transition to corner judges and time keepers.